Wednesday, January 29, 2014

You can't save them all . .

I had the opportunity this morning to photograph another KCMOSD school building slated for demolition. Built in 1930-31, J.S. Chick Elementary was among thirty-something schools closed in a "right-sizing" plan by the School District a few years ago. Once eligible for sale and repurposing, it soon fell to vandalism and will now be torn down.

There isn't anything unusual about this these days, nor is there much of anything special about this particular building. It's just a little sad, and a pretty big waste of a well-built, solid building. But, you can't save them all.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for these pics. I attended Chick from 85-90.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attended Sept 1962 thru May 1970. These bring back memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to go to that school in was good school to learn and have fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I attended Chick school from Kindergarten through 7th grade , fall of 1951 through spring of 1959. Wonderful memories. Kindergarten room was on first floor in the middle of the building where it protrudes out. The room had a fireplace you could walk into without stooping down. Since it sat at the top of a hill on 53rd street and my house was at the top of a hill on 55th street, I can truthfully say I walked to school on Norton street uphill both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are so beautiful and brings a bit of sadness to my heart. I attended J.S. Chick school in the summer times of 1999-2000s. We would go to stay with my aunt for the summer and go to summer school there. I learned more at this school than I ever did at my own school in Georgia. I still to this day remember "I Am Somebody" and the pledge. I pledge today to open my mind. I will seek and learn new knowledge. I will not harm, fight, or disrespect my fellow brothers, or sisters. I recite this to my nephews and niece all the time. This is something that should be taught to everyone in every school.

    ReplyDelete